- I have the best Solicitor in the country
- Thank you for all your help and advice. I would recommend you to anyone needing a good solicitor
- Professional and friendly service!
- Always most helpful, knowledgeable and understanding. Very pleasant and efficient
- Thank you very much for all of the work that you have done, delighted with the speed with which matters were concluded
Gifts Not Part of Estate, Rules Court
An assertion that cash gifts of £100,000 each to his two daughters should be considered to be part of a deceased man’s estate was given short shrift by the court recently.
The gifts were made from the proceeds of the sale of the man’s house, in recognition of the support his daughters had given him in recent years. The house sold for £350,000 and was his only significant asset.
The man’s will divided the bulk of his estate between his three children and his son sought a ruling that the amounts already paid to his sisters were part of the estate (i.e. debts due to the estate).
The High Court rejected the challenge and accepted that the man’s estate on death consisted of his other assets but did not include the £200,000.